Housing Update – Rental Registration Ordinance
In October of 2017, Detroit City Council voted unanimously on an ordinance to toughen rental regulations. The ordinance will greatly impact Detroit’s most vulnerable renters and increase displacement. The city is implementing the ordinance through the neighborhoods by zip code starting with 48215 on the East Side February 1st.
The schedule for the first six ZIP codes is as follows:
|ZIP Code||Launch Date||Registration Date||Compliance Date|
|48215||February 1, 2018||May 1, 2018||August 1, 2018|
|48224||March 1, 2018||June 1, 2018||September 1, 2018|
|48223||May 1, 2018||August 1, 2018||November 1, 2018|
|48219||June 1, 2018||September 1, 2018||December 1, 2018|
|48209||July 1, 2018||October 1, 2018||January 1, 2018|
|49210||August 1, 2018||November 1, 2018||February 1, 2018|
What does the Rental Registration Ordinance mean for Detroit renters?
- The Rental Registration Ordinance potentially creates conflict between tenants and landlords while protecting neither.
- The ordinance mandates renters continue to pay rent into an escrow account without providing clarity around the liability of living in non-compliant buildings.
- All landlords need to be held accountable, but the Rental Registration Ordinance has the potential to target good landlords that have provided housing to low income Detroiters for decades.
- Decrease in places for low-income Detroiters to live.
- Disproportionately impacts small independent landlords and further diminishes black home and property ownership.
Major issues that threaten housing stability for Detroiters:
- Limited affordable and desirable housing, escalating rent.
- Utility shutoffs, including water
- Lack of home maintenance and other support programs for small landlords.
More on the Rental Regulation Ordinance:
Rental companies sue over Detroit inspection ordinance
Crains is behind a subscription firewall, but if you have on here is their recent reporting on the ordinance. http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20180122/news/650786/detroit-launches-broad-plan-to-bring-rental-properties-up-to-code#